GPs - refer your patients
GPs play a key role in community type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease prevention.
As GPs are typically the first point of contact for people seeking health care, they are in a prime position to assess patients for type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease risk, and to promote the prevention message to at-risk patients.
The Life! program supports people at high risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease or stroke to modify their lifestyle to prevent the onset of disease and reach their goals for a healthier life. Delivered as either a Group Course or a Telephone Health Coaching service, this program is FREE for most people.
GPs can feel confident in referring at-risk patients to the Life! program – their patients will benefit from an evidence-based lifestyle modification program that is facilitated by dietitians, exercise physiologists and other health professionals who have been trained in the area of prevention; specifically relating to type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. In addition, GPs also receive updates on their patient’s progress.
Life! offers a financial incentive for GPs to refer eligible patients to the Life! program. For more information contact email@example.com or (03) 8648 1880.
To participate in the Life! program, participants must have one or more of the following eligibility criteria:
- 18 years and over and have an AUSDRISK score ≥ 12 and a BMI score ≥ 25
- 18 years or more and have previously been diagnosed with one or more of the following:
- cardiovascular disease (including myocardial infarction, angina and angioplasty)
- gestational diabetes
- moderate or severe Chronic Kidney Disease
- familial hypercholesterolemia
- serum total cholesterol >7.5mmol/L
- systolic BP of ≥ 180mmHg or diastolic BP of ≥ 110mmHg
- impaired glucose tolerance (by FPG, OGTT or HbA1c)
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- 45 years or more, or ≥ 35 years and of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and have an Absolute Cardiovascular Disease Risk Test score of ≥10% when referred by a GP clinic
1. To refer, follow the steps in the Patient Eligibility and Referral Pathway document
The Life! GP referral form and AUSDRISK tool is available in RTF file for the following medical software;
For further information regarding the GP referral form, phone the Life! program 03 8648 1880 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
“I find the Life! program is fantastic for my high-risk patients. It gives them structured support and teaches them practical skills (e.g. visits to the supermarket to learn how to read food labels to enable them to choose healthier foods). I’d say that most of the patients who attend the program tell me how much they’ve enjoyed it and got something useful from the program – even the ones who were initially sceptical. Focusing early on preventing diabetes makes so much sense than dealing with diabetes once it’s established.” – Dr Marich, Mount Martha Village Clinic