- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 leek (white part only), cut lengthways and finely sliced
- 600 g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 95 g reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, chopped
- small green salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Spray a 12-hole, ½-cup capacity muffin pan with oil. Spray a non-stick frying pan with oil and place on medium heat.
- Add leek to frying pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add pumpkin, spray with oil and stir to coat vegetables. Add ½ cup water, cover pan and steam for 10 minutes until just tender.
- In a medium sized jug, whisk together eggs and milk; season with black pepper.
- Remove pumpkin mixture from heat and stir through feta and basil.
- Place muffin pan on a flat baking tray then spoon pumpkin mixture evenly into 12 holes. Carefully pour over egg mixture to almost fill muffin holes. Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm and golden.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold with a green salad.
Frittatas make a nutritious finger food for toddlers and are perfect packed in your child’s lunchbox.
Variation: Vary vegetables to include any combination of diced sweet potato, peas, corn kernels, chopped mushrooms, spinach, asparagus or semi-sundried tomatoes, or even leftover roast vegies.
Recipes and images supplied courtesy of LiveLighter Victoria.