Carrot currant loaf
- olive or canola oil spray
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup currants
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (170ºC fan forced).
- Lightly spray a 20cm loaf tin with oil.
- Sift flours into a medium sized bowl, returning the husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl. Add sugar, currants and carrot. Mix well to combine.
- Measure milk in a medium bowl and mix in egg, oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to mix.
- Spoon combined ingredients into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin then turn out onto wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place. Best eaten within 3 days of baking.
- This loaf can be frozen.
Variation: Use other dried fruit such as sultanas, chopped dates, dried cranberries or dried apricots instead of currants.
Serving Suggestion: Individually wrap slices for a healthy lunch box treat.
Recipes and images supplied courtesy of LiveLighter Victoria.