One way of making sure that you eat the right balance of healthy foods is to use the plate model for guidance. These four steps will help you serve up a healthy food plate:
- Select a medium-sized plate or bowl - avoid large ones
- Fill half of your dinner plate with a variety of non-starchy vegetables. Go for salad, green leafy veggies, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, capsicum, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.
- Add lean protein foods such as meat, fish, chicken or legumes (chick peas, lentils etc) to take up a quarter of the plate
- Complete the meal by adding in whole grain foods such as brown rice, whole-grain bread, potato or sweet potato to take up the remaining quarter of the plate.
Some people use their hands as a loose guide to portion sizes.
- A serve of meat should be about the size of your palm
- A serve of pasta/rice should be about the size of your fist
- Two open handfuls is a serve of vegetables
- A thumb tip should be a serving of butter/margerine.