Pharmacists - refer your patients
Pharmacists play a key role in community type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease prevention.
The statistics about type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke in Australia are alarming and preventing these serious conditions has never been more important. Pharmacists are in a key position to assess high-risk individuals with the type 2 diabetes risk assessment (AUSDRISK) tool and to promote the Life! program to clients looking to live a healthier life.
The Life! program supports people at high risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease or stroke to modify their lifestyle to prevent the onset of disease and reach their goals for a healthier life. Delivered as either a Group Course or a Telephone Health Coaching service this program is FREE for most people.
Through referring customers to Life!, Allied health professionals can feel confident that their customers will benefit from an evidenced-based program that is facilitated by dietitians, exercise physiologists and other health professionals who have been trained in the area of prevention; specifically relating to type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Life! offers a financial incentive for pharmacies to refer eligible patients to the Life! program. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 03 8648 1880.
To participate in the Life! program, participants must have one or more of the following eligibility criteria:
- 18 years and over and have an AUSDRISK score≥ 12 and a BMI score ≥ 25
- 18 years or more and have previously been diagnosed with one or more of the following:
- cardiovascular disease (including myocardial infarction, angina and angioplasty)
- gestational diabetes
- moderate or severe Chronic Kidney Disease
- familial hypercholesterolemia
- serum total cholesterol >7.5mmol/L
- systolic BP of ≥ 180mmHg or diastolic BP of ≥ 110mmHg
- impaired glucose tolerance (by FPG, OGTT or HbA1c)
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- 45 years or more, or ≥ 35 years and of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent, and have an Absolute Cardiovascular Disease Risk Assessment score of ≥10% when referred by a GP clinic
1. To refer, follow the steps in the Patient Eligibility and Referral Pathway document
“Offering our customers the AUSDRISK test (a simple and quick test that can be done in the pharmacy) has a big impact on increasing Life! program participants and increasing knowledge and awareness among those who are at high risk of type 2 diabetes.” – Kathryn Fischman, Manager UFS Bridge Mall