"I'm glad I didn’t wait to start the course because that would have been more of my life wasted."
Kerrie BeitzelRead more »
How the Life! group course works
The Life! group course provides five valuable group sessions across six months. Free for most people, the Life! course offers you the skills, support and expert advice needed to make lifestyle choices to prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. These sessions:
- are run in local communities
- offer group and individual support
- are available in most metropolitan and rural communities
- the support of the group members increases your chance of reaching your goals
- Your partner or a friend may be able to attend the course with you to provider extra support, even if they are not at high risk of diabetes, heart disease or stroke.
The Life! course is not a lecture. The trained health professionals who deliver the course give you individual attention and learn about you and your lifestyle. Together, you set an exercise routine and healthy eating plan that you can easily maintain for a long healthy life. The small group provides support to help you stay motivated and on track.
You will work towards improving your health, quality of life and confidence to make health behaviour changes to minimise your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
Each participant is provided with a workbook; consisting of activities and materials relating to nutrition and physical activity, sleep, stress and lapses. The content of each Life! session has been developed using health psychology theories of behaviour change, and is supported by adult learning principles.