Community prevention sessions
Heart disease and stroke are currently the two biggest killers in Australia and over 70 new cases of diabetes are being diagnosed daily. Educating communities on the prevention of these three serious conditions has never been so important.
The Life! program provides free prevention sessions for community groups and organisations on how to prevent type 2 diabetes and improve health and wellbeing.
The Life! session covers:
- what is diabetes, heart disease and stroke?
- risk factors linked to type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease
- how to prevent these chronic diseases
- introduction to the Life! program.The presentation provides participants with ideas and tips on how to:
- change behaviour to improve health and wellbeing
- identify and address barriers to implementing positive health behaviours.
All attendees will complete an Australian Diabetes Risk (AUSDRISK) assessment to determine their risk of developing type 2 diabetes. High risk, eligible attendees are then able to participate in a Life! group course or Life! telephone health coaching. We work with each community group to plan the delivery of the prevention session and coordinate suitable dates and times. We also assist with the promotion of the sessions and can provide resources to distribute to group members.
Please note: venues must be in greater Melbourne, a minimum of 20 attendees must attend per session and the sessions focus on prevention of diabetes (not diabetes management).